1. Health

How do I find the best doctor for my mother?


Updated April 01, 2004

Question: How do I find the best doctor for my mother?
Answer: "My mom is 84 years old and lives in .... How can she find a doctor who specializes in caring for elderly patients? Would this type of doctor have a certain credential?"

Depending on your mother's medical condition, you have a couple of options when looking for a physician. If your mother is in good physical condition, she would probably do well with a General Practice physician or an Internal Medicine physician. If your mother is frail, has multiple medical problems, or is living in a nursing home or assisted living facility you may want to find a physician who specializes in Geriatrics. His/her specialty would be designated as Geriatrician. This is a board certified specialty for physicians who specialize in the care of the elderly.

  1. About.com
  2. Health
  3. Senior Health

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.